LANEF PhD Program 2020
Due to the exceptional situation of containment, the deadline for PhD application is postponed to Thursday 30 April 2020 @ 11.59am. However, the applicants or her/his supervisors are invited to submit a letter of intent if possible before Friday 3 April 2020.
LANEF PhD Program is a three year program to support PhD training of excellent students. The thesis will be prepared in one of the six laboratories (IRIG, LPMMC, G2ELab, LNCMI, LiPhy, NEEL) on a topic related to one or several of the following Challenges:
• Quantum Materials
• Nanophysics and Quantum Engineering
• Electrical Energy
• Sensors for Life Science and Healthcare
•New frontiers in cryogenics
The salary is 1680 €/month during 36 months, including healthcare insurance (income tax to be deduced). The UGA University fees are about 500€/year. If you agree to undertake light additional duties (such as teaching), your salary may rise up to 1920 €/month.
The program is open to highly talented and motivated students of any nationality. Applications from women are strongly encouraged. Students from different backgrounds (biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, mathematics) who can demonstrate a strong interest in the fields supported by LANEF are welcome. Applicants should have an MSc degree and must be fluent in English. A good mobility (within the country of origin - or internationally) demonstrated during the undergraduate cursus will be considered as a plus.
Applicants must have already identified a potential PhD supervisor in one of the 6 laboratories of LANEF and be able to propose a thesis project in agreement with his/her future thesis supervisor.
The PhD thesis must fulfil one of the LANEF’s synergy criteria: synergies between at least 2 of the 6 laboratories, inter-Labex collaboration inside UGA, collaborations with R&D, healthcare laboratories, or companies (see more details in section C of the application form).
HOW TO APPLY
- You must have found a PhD project that will be co-supported and co-supervised by two researchers based in 2 different laboratories (see more details in section C of the application form).
- If possible, send to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 3 April 2020 a short letter of intent. This short letter must inform on the name and address of the applicants, the name and the lab. of the supervisors, the title and a short summary of the project (5 to 10 lines).
- Download the PhD program application form.
- With the help of your proposed thesis supervisors, fill in this application form with all requested details.
- You must contact the steering committee member of your main thematic in order to inform him/her of your intention to apply to the PhD program. He/she will help you and make sure that your application matches the program requirements.
- Save as PDF each document: Application form / CV / exam results / diplomas....
- Merge all these PDFs into ONE single .PDF file.
- Send by email that final PDF file to email@example.com by 2020, April 30, 11:59 AM (Paris time).
- Your application will be acknowledged within five working days.
- You must request (at least) two recommendation letters based on the template included at the end of the application form (section F). These letters must be sent by your referee himself/herself directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2020, April 30, 11:59 AM (Paris time).
Due to the exceptionnal situation, the final selection procedure by audition could be modified. We will inform the candidates of any modifications.
>> After verifying its eligibility, each application is sent to 2 independent reviewers (3 in the case of a project co-funded with ARCANE (www.labex-arcane.fr)).
>> 2020, June, 5 : A Steering Committee session is held in order to select the applicants to be invited for an audition in Grenoble, on the basis of the reviewers reports.
To be confirmed: Selected students will receive a convocation for the interview and instructions to prepare their travel and stay in Grenoble. All travel/accommodation expenses will be covered by LANEF for 3 days/2 nights. This will provide enough time for each applicant to visit their hosting laboratory and to finalise their oral presentation together with their prospective thesis supervisor. Applicants may also arrange for a longer stay with the support of their supervisor. Non-selected applicants will receive a short feedback report within 2 weeks.
>> To be confirmed: 2020, beginning of July : Auditions are held in Grenoble, in front of the Steering Committee and invited specialists.
>> Final results will be announced a few days later. Selected applicants should accept or decline our offer within 2 weeks. Non-selected applicants will receive a report thereafter.
The LANEF 2020 call of the PhD programmes is enlarged with Fondation Nanoscience and Labex Arcane (www.labex-arcane.fr), both of which bear peculiarities (see section C1d and C2 in the application form).